Be sure to turn the holiday season into the most festive season of all. It’s easier than ever with a s’mores puff pastry Christmas tree appetizer formed into the shape of a Christmas tree.
Perfect for the Holiday Menu
This recipe uses s’mores filling for a sweet treat perfect for sharing or keeping all to yourself.
And what’s great about this recipe is that it can also be made with a variety of other fillings. Once you master this puff pastry appetizer, you can let your imagination run wild and make different flavors for everyone to enjoy!
Your Holiday Gatherings Need a Christmas Tree Puff Pastry!
What makes this recipe so simple is that it calls for a store-bought puff pastry from your grocery store.
If you want, you can use homemade puff pastry, though so many people are pressed for time during this season, so it’s just easier to buy one.
It’s easy to make this puff pastry appetizer with ready-made puff pastry. You only need a few simple ingredients, and you will be the talk of the Christmas parties!
Christmas appetizers always have that magical look and taste. When you serve up puff pastry Christmas trees, you will have an edible decoration that all your friends and family will love.
Tools You Will Need
Get ready to make this s’mores puff pastry Christmas tree appetizer by gathering everything you’ll need.
- Large bowl
- Basting brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Ingredients for the Christmas Tree S’mores Puff Pastry
- Puff pastry
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Melted butter
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Christmas sprinkles (optional, but they do give it that festive holiday look that makes this treat even more irresistible).
Full printable recipe at the bottom of the post with the instructions and measurements.
How To Make the Christmas Tree Pastry
Gather your ingredients.
Once you have everything you need, you will lay your puff pastry flat. Take your large bowl and set it down in the center of the pastry while cutting around the perimeter with a knife.
Remove your excess dough, and if desired, use a toothpick to trace an outline shaped like a tree in the middle. Then, spread the Nutella in the center, shaping it like a tree.
Add the marshmallow fluff on top of that.
Next, cut a triangle out of the top of the puff pastry and align it with the top of the tree.
You’ll then cut diagonal lines starting from the top of the tree down to the bottom corners. Do this on both sides, ensuring even spacing.
You’ll make the tree trunk by cutting 2 lines straight down at the base of the tree. Cut 2 additional triangles out from the dough from the corners of the bottom of the tree.
Once all the cuts are made, you can begin folding on each side. Make a crisscross style as though you’re lacing shoes starting from the top of the tree.
When you get to the bottom, before making your last folds, fold the bottom and your trunk piece. Then, fold the remaining two slices on each side.
You will have some excess puff pastry left over, so you can use that to cut out a star to put on the top. You could also make little stars to add to your puff pastry Christmas tree.
When you have everything all set, use your basting brush to coat it with melted butter.
Immediately sprinkle it with graham cracker crumbs before baking at 375 degrees.
Set a timer for 10 to 15 minutes and check to see when it is golden brown. That’s when it’s ready and the perfect time to add sprinkles if you’re using them.
You can also sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top to look like snow.
This Christmas appetizer is best when served warm and is a true delight to share with others or to simply eat on your own.
What should you do with the second puff pastry sheet? Good question, since store-bought puff pastry comes with two sheets. Our best advice is to make another Christmas tree appetizer.
Ideas for a Savory Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
Pesto puff pastry Christmas trees with basil pesto sauce, parmesan cheese, and cherry tomatoes will be a huge hit at your Christmas party. You can explore savory filling options such as making a pizza using marinara sauce or pizza sauce with plenty of cheese and your favorite toppings.
You could also make a sweet and creamy churro style with cream cheese and cinnamon sugar. There are tons of possibilities for creating all kinds of Christmas tree appetizers out of puff pastry!
When you need a festive Christmas appetizer for a birthday party, dinner party, or Christmas party, this puff pastry Christmas tree appetizer is a simple, delicious, and impressive option.
Scroll down to the recipe card, and you’ll also see a step-by-step walkthrough of how to create your own puff pastry Christmas tree!
S’mores Puff Pastry Christmas Tree Appetizer
- 1 Puff Pastry the package comes with two sheets of puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons of Nutella
- 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs
- Christmas Sprinkles if desired
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top optional
- Start by laying your pastry puff out flat on a piece of parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet. Place your bowl in the center and cut around it with a knife.
- Remove the excess dough. You can use a toothpick to trace out the shape of a tree in the center.
- Spread out your Nutella in the center, in the shape of a tree, as shown.
- Spoon some marshmallow fluff on top of your Nutella.
- Start by cutting a triangle with a sharp knife out of the top of the pastry puff aligned with the top of your tree.
- Next, cut diagonal lines from the top of your tree to the bottom corners on both sides. Make sure they are evenly spaced.
- Cut two lines straight down at the base of your tree for the trunk.
- Cut two additional triangles out at each corner of the bottom of the tree, as shown.
- Begin folding on each side, crisscross, like a shoelace, starting at the top.
- Before making your last two folds, fold in the bottom and your trunk piece.
- Fold in the remaining two slices on each side.
- Use the remaining dough to cut out a star and place it at the top.
- Coat everything in melted butter using your basting brush.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add sprinkles or powdered sugar (optional).
- Serve warm.
If you might also like these recipes.
I’m Julie, and for over two decades, I’ve been the chief chef, recipe developer, and taste-tester in my own home – a bustling kitchen where love and flavors mix seamlessly. My journey into the world of cooking began simply by feeding my family. Now, I share easy recipes with readers to make their lives easier and more enjoyable.